Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

You're Gone. Gone. How in the World Will I-I-I Go On.

There's just a few more hours to cast your vote in the latest poll. So please vote if you haven't yet done so. To make a long story short, choose the person you think is least likely to be nominated for an Oscar ever again. This being their one and only Oscar moment.

I'm finding the breakdown of votes fascinating. Not going in the directions I expected. Most people don't even believe the statistic that 64% of actors (male or female) are nominated are never found in Oscar's shortlist again. But it's true. I've done the research. And here's the tricky you-need-to-be-a-psychic part. Sometimes the person who inspired the most "they'll have several more chances" thoughts will suffer a free fall.

When Kathleen Turner lost the Oscar to Marlee Matlin in 1986, was anyone expecting KATHLEEN TURNER would be the person to vanish? She was called "the definitive female box office commodity" at the time. She was being compared to Garbo and other greats. Critically in film magazine polls, she was Meryl Streep's only real competition for "the actress of the eighties". I watched that 59th episode of the Academy Awards again last night and it's heartbreaking. You have your five women in their boxes on the screen, sweating it out. One of them is going to win. The rest will lose. [click to enlarge photo]


Watching Turner's face go through all those beats. It rips my heart out. I don't even know why I love the Oscars. Three years later my already mangled heart was completely destroyed when La Pfeiffer suffered the same horrific undeserved fate.

So, um, happy Oscars on Sunday.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar